Software for Collaboration

Software for Collaboration

by Laura Wenk -
Number of replies: 16

Share the software you are using to support student collaboration - either synchronous or asynchronous.

In reply to Laura Wenk

Re: Software for Collaboration

by Gaby Richard-Harrington -
Slack - https://slack.com/
Miro https://miro.com/s
Ayoa https://www.ayoa.com/features/
Mural https://www.mural.co/
Padlet https://padlet.com/dashboard
Google Slides and Google Docs
FlipGrid https://info.flipgrid.com/
In reply to Gaby Richard-Harrington

by Christina Cianfrani -
This year in my courses I plan to use:
1. Slack -- for class communication, as a backchannel for Zoom, also for all my advisees
2. Perusall -- for all readings/videos - students can annotate/answer questions collaboratively in a forum like environment
3. Google docs/slides/sheets -- for collaboration during class
4. Moodle - all syllabus materials, most assignments, all logistic and organizational information
In reply to Christina Cianfrani

by Laela Sayigh -
Chris,
I am also planning to use #2, 3 and 4 on your list, but I don't know anything about Slack. I don't understand what you mean by a "backchannel for Zoom". How does it differ from the zoom chat, or forums in moodle?
Thanks for your help.
Laela
In reply to Laela Sayigh

by Christina Cianfrani -
I use Slack as a way to consolidate communication and to reduce all the emails I get. It has both a desktop and phone app. Communication can be organized into "channels" (i have one for my course, one specifically for my TAs, one for Div III students, etc.). It is like texting. Also offers an easy way to sent links, files, etc.

In terms of backchannel - since it functions like a chat/text it is easy to do. It would be similar to the chat function in Zoom, but sometimes students can't see the chat or loose connection to zoom and Slack would be a different place. The Slack chats/texts would also remain live even after the zoom session ends.

Here is a short video tutorial I made for AIPG last year when we started using it. I think it makes sense for me to make a new "Slack Tutorial" that is more generic (not AIPG focused) - which I will do and share, but this is what i have now :)

I have really liked using it because I do not have a good way to organize email and this keeps all messages focused and searchable. Also, I have basically texting functionality without having to give students my cell #.

It is another app to keep track of, but I use it for so many different things (I have a workspace for classes, AIPG, etc.) that I always have it open. It is especially useful for people that I communicate with often.

Happy to talk more about this!

Chris

by Michele Hardesty -

Thanks, Chris - I'm curious what your thoughts are about Perusall.

Also - does anyone have a rec for a tool to do class annotation of streaming video? I'd love it for students to be able to peg commentary to films and videos we are watching this semester. I know there are tools out there for this, but have any of you worked with them before, or are any of you trying them out this semester?

Michele

In reply to Michele Hardesty

by Michele Hardesty -
Ah, nevermind! It turns out you can annotate streaming video (not sure about Hampflix....) with Perusall. Ok - I'm sold!

by Christina Cianfrani -

Hi Michele,

I am trying perusall for the first time this semester, so I don't have fully formed opinions yet, but I have seen others use it in cool ways😀 

As a note, right now we need to use it as standalone (vs integrated with moodle) - we may be able to get it integrated with moodle if enough people use it. The main difference is that with standalone, students need to create accounts. I plan to do this together in class this week and do a demo assignment live with the students.

In setting up my assignments in it, I have noticed that you can include videos and websites for students to comment on as well. I am not sure about live streamed video (I haven't tried that), but I have a few short videos (from youtube for example) as part of weekly assignments and I added them for commentary just like I did pdfs, etc.

Chris

by Michele Hardesty -

Thanks, Chris - 

One more Perusall question. Have you found a way to work around Perusall’s algorithm based student grading system? It seems really central to their brand and really counter to our pedagogy. I think the idea that they are being scored on their annotations and up votes (so Black Mirror!) will put a damper on what I think would be really useful about the program for my purposes. 

In case anyone is thinking of using Padlet, I have used it in a few courses in different ways and can show you what I’ve done. 

Michele 

by Laura Wenk -
Hi Michele - I am using Padlet. I just set up a wall for students to introduce themselves, but I would love to see how you have used it.
BTW, it seems you can annotate video in YouTube. I haven't done it, but I believe you have to set up chapters in the video, which adds time stamps. Then students can go to a time stamp and add comments.
I'm just adding some things to my Perusall library now (a bit behind where I wish I were!) so haven't played with the settings.
Laura
In reply to Laura Wenk

by Gaby Richard-Harrington -
I will take a look to see if I can find a Perusall user group and ask about this.
Gaby
In reply to Gaby Richard-Harrington

by Laela Sayigh -
I would like to go over the students' annotations in Perusall with them in class, sharing my screen. But is there a way to do this with the comments being anonymous? I tried student view, but I can't get it to show me the comments.
In reply to Laela Sayigh

by Christina Cianfrani -
When you set up the assignment in Perusall, there is a box you can check to make all annotations anonymous (but you as the instructor will still know who wrote them). That would mean as the students work on the assignment all the posts will be anonymous - I think it could show up that way if you screen shared (but I haven't tried it). A work around could be for you to create a "student" that is really you - and then you would see what the students see.

If you don't check that, then the students will be able to see who is making what comment -- they will have seen them as they did the assignment, so I am not sure that seeing them on your screen share would be any different?

by Laela Sayigh -
Thanks Chris! I did check that box so that the annotations would be anonymous to the others, but if I want to screen share in my instructor view, their initials do show up. In student view, which is anonymous, oddly I only see some of the comments - in instructor view it says there are 118, but when I'm in student view, I am only able to see about 25% of them.
In reply to Laela Sayigh

by Laura Wenk -

I think you only see some participants in student view, because students are broken into small groups for annotating. I don't know why anonymity is broken when you present. That is unfortunate.

In reply to Laura Wenk

by Laela Sayigh -
Thanks Laura - do you know if you can disable having the students being broken into small groups for annotating? I think it would be good if they could see all of the other annotations (and then it would allow me to show them anonymously to the class in student view). Last night I ended up having to share the unannnotated syllabus, while I was simultaneously viewing the annotated one to go over their comments, since some students didn't feel comfortable having their initials show up next to their comments in my instructor view. This was awkward, since I had to have two screens open and couldn't look at the students at the same time... (and violated the helpful tip of looking into the camera as well for much of the time).
In reply to Laela Sayigh

by Laura Wenk -

Laela - I have only used Perusall a few times. Here is what I understand.

When you set up the course, you can say how many students should be in a group. If you want all of them in one group, just give your full class number there. It does make that a setting for the course. But you can change it later and it changes it only for subsequent assignments.

Also, when you set up an assignment, you can assign specific students. It would seem at that moment that you could just add the whole class list for that assignment.

What seems good about ability to assign students to an assignment is that if you do peer editing, you can upload their pdf's of their work and then make an assignment for each paper and assign specific students to each one.

Also, when you are reading annotations from assignments where students were in small groups, you can select to read all annotations. It isn't all totally intuitive!

Others might have found other things I'm missing.

--L