View Assignment Submissions and Give Feedback
Once students have submitted their responses to your assignment, you can leave written feedback for them, or upload a file of your own in response.
If you have set up this assignment to use a Grading scale, you can also use Moodle's "grading" function to keep track of who's submitted what.
Reviewing Assignment Submissions
- In the course outline, click the name of the assignment you want to review.
- On the next page, you can click View all submissions to see a detailed breakdown of what your students have submitted. If you'd prefer to dive straight in to giving feedback, click grade and skip to the Grades and Feedback section below.
- In the detailed view, there is a lot going on. Here are your options:
- The Status column can give you a quick look at which of your students have submitted their assignments.
- Click a student's Grade icon to enter the Grading View (see below).
- You'll see your students' work in the Online Text and File Submissions columns. To download and view the file, click the title of their document.
- You can use the Grading Action drop-down menu to download all submissions at once. This is where you start the process to review assignments "offline".
- Note: There may be additional columns to the right of the chart that you will need to scroll to view. To view them, use the scroll bar beneath the final student row of the chart. It's easy to miss if you have a long list of students.
You can hide the columns you aren't using with the minimize icon beneath each column label. You can un-hide the column by clicking on the icon again.
Grades and Feedback
In the top bar of the grading view, you'll see Student and Assignment Information.
- At the top left, you have a link back to the course page, and to the assignment page.
- In the center, you will see information for the student whose assignment you are currently assessing.
- At the right, you can use the arrows or drop-down menu to switch between the students in the course.
Different options for the grader view: If your students are submitting PDFs for their assignment, you can view them directly in Moodle, next to the grading and feedback areas. To do so, use the icons at the bottom right of the page. You can switch to a view where the submitted document and the grading view are side-by-side, or a view where you are only viewing the submitted document. See the page in this guide about annotating PDFs for more information.
Student Submission: You can read any online text the student submitted, or click on the link to download an assignment in this section.
Grade Information: If you are using a grading scale for the assignment, you can assign a grade in this next section.
Feedback: You can leave text comments or upload files in response to your student's work.
Remember to save your changes using the button at the bottom of the page!