What's New in Moodle for Fall 2017
As of mid-July, we upgraded our Moodle system to version 3.2. This means instructors will see a handful of minor improvements, though the look and feel of the site are remaining much the same. For those who maintain Moodle courses, read below about useful new features, improvements to the assignment grading interface, and some minor adjustments to menus and links.
As always, if you have Moodle questions, get in touch with us!
- Recycle Bin: If you’ve deleted an element on your course page that you really want to keep, try refreshing the page and looking at the bottom of your Administration block. You should see a new link to your Recycle Bin. Items will hang around in your Recycle Bin for two weeks after their initial deletion, so you have enough time to grab anything that has been accidentally axed and return it to your course.
- Download Instructor Files: In just one step, you can download all the files you’ve added to your Moodle course and save them in a folder, either to your computer or to Google Drive. This a great way to preserve the components of your Moodle course for reference or later use. Want to know more? Here are our instructions on Downloading Instructor Files.
- Pin Forum Discussions: Ever have a really critical forum post that you want students to be reminded of whenever they go to participate in the discussion? You can now “pin” it to the top of the forum page. Look for the “Pinned” checkbox when you are adding a new discussion topic.
Improvements: Assignment Grading
If you use the Assignment grading feature, you will see that the grading interface has gotten an overhaul in this version of Moodle. The options available to you are the same as they were in the old interface, but if you need a tour of the new look, see our updated assignment grading instructions.
Different titles, different locations
A last few minor changes:
- Each course used to come with a News Forum by default. This forum is now called Announcements.
- The link to Grades can be now be found in your Navigation block. (This link used to be under Administration).
- If you want to view your page as a student does, the option to “Change Role To…” is now part of the User Menu, under your name and profile picture at the top right of the page. (This link used to be under Administration).