Adding a Forum
1. Turn editing on.
2. Click the "Add an activity or resource" menu in the section where you want the forum to live. Select "Forum" and click "Add".
3. Give the Forum a name. It should be something descriptive- what are they discussing?
4. Choose a forum type. For most purposes, a standard forum is fine. Check out our page on forum types and uses for more information.
5. Write a forum description.
- These are your instructions for the forum. What do you want to students to write about? How many times should they post? Are they required to respond to their peers? Do you want them to add links, media, or file attachments to their posts?
6. Choose a subscription option.
- Being subscribed to a forum means that you get an email every time someone posts.
- We suggest leaving this set to Optional, which means the students can choose to subscribe, or not.
- For more information, check out our page on subscription options.
7. Check other options. Take a look at the other settings, but most of them can be ignored!
8. Click save and return to course at the bottom.
9. You'll see the link to your forum on the main course page. Click it to enter the forum, or use the icons to make any changes.
- Click Edit to update; click, hold, and drag on the crosshair to move; or Edit > "Delete" to delete.
10. Click the title of your form to open it and start a new discussion topic, or leave it to the students to start theirs.
- The forum at this point is an empty vessel.
- Your students can add a new discussion topic (or thread), or you can.
- One standard forum can contain multiple discussion topics for different conversations.